Jefferson Elementary Community Safe Room
The Community Safe Room at Jefferson Elementary, 130 McKinley Ave., is ready for use during tornado and dangerous high wind events.
Tornado Protection Zone:
- The Community Safe Room is owned by Joplin Schools, and its first function is to provide protection for Jefferson Elementary students and staff during tornado and extreme high wind events during school hours.
- During and after school hours, the Safe Room will also be available to residents who do not have safe locations to take shelter such as a basement and who live within what we refer to as the “Tornado Protection Zone” (TPZ - see link to map below).
- Jefferson Special Needs Form
Notification of Safe Room Opening:
- The TPZ represents a 2/5-mile radius around the school and a roughly five-minute or less walking distance to the Safe Room at Jefferson Elementary.
- Due to the estimated time necessary to safely reach the Safe Room after a weather warning has been issued and the Safe Room’s maximum capacity of 1.030 persons, including the student body and staff, the Safe Room is not designed to provide shelter for those who live beyond this protection zone.
- Jefferson Elementary TPZ map
- Your official notification that the Safe Room is open will be through your NOAA weather radio.
- The Safe Room will be opened when the National Weather Service issues a:
- Tornado Watch
- Tornado Warning
- Severe weather event with winds in excess of 75 mph for our area
- If a weather warning is issued after school hours, a designated trained safe room supervisor will open the facility for the community and oversee the facility for the duration of the weather warning.
Please call Jim Hounschell, Joplin Schools Director of Safety and Security, at 417-625-5230, ext. 3008.
Jefferson Elementary Safe Room Entrance